Monday, September 28, 2009

Finally in Nerito

Nerito (my fathers birthplace)


I am dedicating the next few blogs about Nerito to my father, Tommaso Mazzetta. A loving man, who knew the meaning of family.

Words can not even begin to describe how I feel. The amazing history I found out and the wonderful people I have met. There was a reason I was to take this trip. To meet my extended family which will continue to enrich my life.It was always Dads dream to come back to where he was born and I can now see why. I really felt like he was with me and we were doing this together. This has been a very emotional journey.

Alfredo and Maura picked us up at the train station in Rome and off we went. It took about 2 hours. The drive was beautiful.






Hills and mountains along the way. We went through L’Aquila, where the earthquake happened in May. There still was a lot of visible damage along the way. So many people misplaced from their homes. I was getting so excited the closer we got. We were going to be staying the night at Alfredo’s Mom and Dad’s home in Nerito. Maura said they had a large enough place to accommodate all of us. The weather was perfect, I didn’t expect it to be anything less, (remember my dad was traveling with us). We talked about many things on the way to Nerito and we laughed a lot. Maura said that I reminded her of Alfredo. She said I was a strong woman and that I made up my mind quickly, as does Alfredo. She was comparing things we did the same.



Finally driving up the road to Nerito and stopped in front of Alfredo’s parents home. His mother used to have a gift shop in her home where she also sold ceramics and home décor. Pretty ironic, don’t you think. Maura said she was really good at sales. I was so nervous. Here I was at last. The place my father always wanted to return.









Albert and Maria's House





Little did I know what the next few days would bring me. I continue thinking of my Dad.

The first 2 people I met were Alfredo’s Dad, Alberto and his mother, Maria. Next walked in a man about 67. He had the warmest smile and squeezed me so tight. He was obviously glad I was here. This was Uncle Gino. We were greeted with a very warm Italian welcome with the kiss on each cheek. Tears were already rolling down my face and I just couldn’t stop them. Alfredo’s parents are both 82. None of them could speak English, but it didn't matter. They were so loving and welcoming and you could tell they were so happy to meet me. They were just as excited as I was. They were going to put us up for the night instead of staying at a hotel which was very generous on their part.

Albert

Albert, Jean and Uncle Gino

                     Albert, Uncle Gino, Jean,Mario,Maura and Lucia

Then another couple appeared at the backdoor, Lucia Mazzetta Peluzzi & her husband Mario. They were so welcoming, but could not stay to visit. The garden needed their attention and they would be over later in the evening to visit. Gino, Alfredo and Albert were eager to show Susie and I around the Village, so our off we went with our camera‘s and our excellent translator, Maura. We were lost without her. Go learn a second language!!

With in a few feet of Albert’s home, was the Village Church, this is where my father was baptized. A stones throw away was the house my father was born in. The feeling I got when I walked in, I just can't describe. Tears continued and Uncle Gino kept patting my shoulder. This is the house that Uncle Gino lives in today, how appropriate that this special man lives in this home.

My father's birth home

He went upstairs and brought down some old pictures of the family, some of them I also have. Nonie, my Grandmother, must have sent them. They were older photos. He also had made a family tree of the Mazzetta family from the beginning. But the most incredible thing he showed me was a letter. My father had written the letter on June 6, 1930. He had just settled in Highwood, Il after being on the boat for 25 days traveling from Naples, Italy to Ellis Island, NY with his mother and Ozzie. He was 9 years old and he had written the letter to his Uncle. I just couldn't believe my eyes. Maura translated the letter for me.



At the end of the letter he said to say hi to all his cousins and named them all. I met a few of them! Next we went to the house where my father lived as a child. Gina Mazzetta Savini lives in the house now with her husband, Antonio. She is about 72. Everyone was so welcoming, new faces continued to appear as we shared family stories. It was a celebration with my newly discovered family.
My father's childhood home


Gina Mazzetta(Black shirt and white scarf )and Family in my father's childhood home

Stay tune for my 1st Family Dinner in Nerito….

No comments:

Post a Comment