Saturday, September 26, 2009

Second day in Montepulciano

Second day in Montepulciano


It’s raining a little and a little cooler. That’s ok I brought my raincoat and it’s not raining hard. Off we go to town to see and explore. Since you don’t need a car we can come and go as we please and separate a little without getting lost.

Great shops and great people. I found a great leather shop, they make everything and really beautiful purses, oh if I only had more room I could bring some back to the shop. This is a five generation shop and the sons name is Nicolo. Next time I am going to bring an empty suitcase. We also went to this great shop of this older man who makes copper things, like pots and pans, cooking utensils and much more. The name of the shop is Mazzetti. He is about 70 years old and he is third generation. He made a beautiful plaque for the Pope and was able to present it to him because they are friends. His pots and pans were also featured in Savoure magazine. These just aren’t pots and pans these are works of art. Gorgeous.

Susie and her cousin Sue
Now off to Omerd, my pottery connection. Three rooms of pottery to pick from, oh the many choices. The way this is going to work is that I will pick out everything I want. He will give me the price. Then tomorrow he will let me know the shipping cost. Then I will sign my life away in the morning. There are so many beautiful pieces and of course I like all the big ones. The factory where these were made has shut down after many years so you won’t be seeing be seeing these any more. That’s a good thing.

Omerd and Jean buying pottery
Now off to The Piazza Grande. The cathedral is here along with the City Hall. All you fans of Under the Tuscan Sun, this is where the flag ceremony took place. It is very beautiful. Also, you fans of the upcoming New Moon Movie, (that would be me), they also filmed part of it here in the Village. If you remember in the book they talk about a place in Italy called Valera (don’t know if I spelled it correctly), they could not film there because there wasn’t enough people there so they ended up filming in Montepulciano, at this same piazza. Susie’s cousin said there were tons of young girls hanging out at the time.


Most of my internet posting has been done at Cafe Poliziano. I couldn’t get good wireless service at the house so I went in the morning and hung out at the café. Susie and I usually got cappuccino and a little treat and sat at the table. We thought since we were buying something that was allowed. I keep repeating to myself, “we’re not in America”, anyway on the last day we find out that if you sit at a table even though you purchase something you have to pay extra. So remember in Italy, if you order at the counter you stand and eat and drink there. If you sit at a table you pay for service and the price is double. We found this out the hard way of course. THERE IS NO SITTING FOR FREE.

After another wonderful day of sightseeing and shopping we went back to the house. Susie’s cousin Sue cooked us a great dinner of that pecci pasta with pesto sauce (my favorite). That is the pasta I told you about. The noodles are shaped like long, round, thick spaghetti noodles. They are delicious! More food, more pasta, more wine oh my!

Stay tune for another day…

No comments:

Post a Comment