Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Riccotti Rome Evening

The Riccotti Evening


Our first stop was the Piazza Navona which is the square that has the three fountains and the great shops. I really wanted to get to this one shop before it closed at 8. It had some great Murano glass jewelry and I was hoping to buy some for the shop. OK we made it and the lights were on and we could see. I think it was much more crowded tonight. Had to find that shop, let’s see where is it. Govanna found it. Oh all the walking, my trainer Kathy would be so proud of me, but let’s not mention the eating to her. Yeh! So many beautiful things to choose from. I make many selections and now it’s time to pay. My Italian family knows I am buying for my shop and when the clerk gives me the price all of sudden the Italian starts flying. Wait, they are negotiating a lower price. WOW! This is great! All I have to do is give my credit card when the negotiating is finished. After a few times back and forth they finally reach an agreement. I was thinking it would be great to have them when I make all my purchases. Now onward to another shop that has this pottery. We can’t find it so we decide to call Maura. We know it is by the giant size Pinocchio but we still can’t find it. Ok, she tells us where it is and we hurry because it is 7:50. Walking, walking, walking. There it is. No it’s closed and we are out of luck again.

We realized we were by the incredible Chamber of Commerce Building. The front was lined with columns and down below it had like a mote around it. Very beautiful and very large. Oh, the history and architecture. It’s overwhelming. As we are standing there Benedetto got a phone call from Teresa. She told them she was with her friends but she had forgotten her money. They all looked at each other and sighed. They told us she always forgets things and they aren’t sure she should become a surgeon because she might forget to take the instruments out before she closes the patient up. Kids are the same no matter where you are and parents still have the same concerns. From the Chamber building we move on to the Pantheon. Continuing on to the Fountain di Trevi. I know I keep saying amazing, but it is amazing. It’s much larger then you think and much more beautiful then in the pictures. Have you looked anything up yet on the internet to see what I am talking about? This is where Susie and I throw the coins over our shoulder into the fountain. It means you will return to Rome. Lot’s of people here taking pictures. More walking, walking and more walking. We are leaving tomorrow morning for Tuscany so we have to see as much as we can. Benedetto decided at the Chamber of Commerce that he would go back and get the car and meet us at he Spanish Steps. Benedetto loves to share his knowledge of churches in Rome, all 300 churches. We visited quite a few on this journey but didn’t have enough time for 300. Benedetto also speaks very good English. He was very happy to be showing us all around. I can’t tell you enough times how warm, friendly and welcoming our Italian family is.




Susie and Jean Coin tossing


Trevi Fountain
Spanish Steps, did I even think what the name meant. NO. At the end of the night and we are at the Spanish Steps and of course you don’t just look at them you have climb them and I mean to the top. Govanna didn’t feel like going to the top but Susie and I had to. You can’t go to Rome and not climb the Spanish Steps. WOW, what a sight from the top. Carolina tried to get our picture but it was to dark. That’s ok, we’ll still remember it. Down at the bottom was Govanna and Carolina waiting for us. Many pictures were taken. Now we have to find Benedetto. Walking, walking and more walking. We went down this street with all the big designer shops on it . Impressive. Still looking for Benedetto. What a patient man he is . Along comes Benedetto and asks if we are ready for dinner. Dinner, OMG here we go again with the eating and drinking. It seemed like none of us wanted the evening to end. We were all having such a great time.



Jean and Susie at the top of the Spanish Steps

Carolina, Govanna, Jean and Susie
botton of The Spanish Steps




We finally decide on a place to eat but have to wait. The waiter says 10 minutes and Govanna says it will be 30 minutes. Govanna was right. We talked of many things as if we had known each other for a long time. Benedetto kept joking with us about how we should see a few more churches this evening. Finally time to sit down and order. Govanna and her husband said this place was know for it’s pizza so we all ordered pizza and beer. After we ordered Carolina said that the waiter was Romanian. Her father also commented on the waiter. He said the language is so close that they come to Italy to work because they can pick up the language. I couldn’t figure out what the comment was all about until Carolina spoke up and said she didn’t want any beer and the waiter was encouraging her to have beer . She said if he was Italian he wouldn’t do that especially in front of her parents. As were waiting the big question comes up. Benedetto asks “ Do you like President Obama and are you happy he won the election”. Oh great! What do I answer and I can’t take to long in answering. Remember, my Dad told me to always be truthful and be yourself. He got me this far in Italy. Yes is the answer. I am pleased he won the election along with many other Americans. They all smile big and say they also were very pleased he won the election.

As the evening progressed we continued talking of many things. They had told Susie and I how scared they were when the plane crashed into the Hudson because their daughter was close to there and they were so far from her.

Here comes the pizza and beer. Good thing Susie and I shared a pizza. I was stuffed. Susie had also ordered what she thought was a green salad and out came the enormous salad. After pizza they told us about this dessert that is famous in Rome and it is called Ba Ba pronounced Ba Bay. A big puff pastry with rum in it. This is becoming a bad habit or an enjoyable habit and we have only been here for 3 days.

Everything was great and of course our generous Italian family wouldn’t allow us to pay for anything. By this time it was 11 or so. Back to the hotel.
Saying good bye was hard and we all promised to keep in touch. Tomorrow morning we are spending with Alfredo and Maura and we should be on the train by 12:45for Montepulciano to join Susie’s relatives.

Stay tune for Sunday morning……



.

No comments:

Post a Comment