Sunday, September 6, 2009

How my adventure came to be

My interest in traveling to Italy stems from the stories my father, Tommaso Mazzetta, used to tell my sister and me about his native village, Nerito, in Abruzzo. My father never managed to get back to Italy, and I was wondering when or if I would ever be able to go. Then this trip fell into my lap.



My good friend Susie Deyo has cousins in Montepulciano, Tuscany, and a brother in Prague. When she stopped by and suggested we go together, I was all over the idea.



As excitement of departure day approaches, I begin my blog. There are already events which will be a lasting memory for me. As soon as travel plans were made, Susie encouraged me to see if I could contact any of my father's family in Nerito. In an on line phone directory I found 12 Mazzetta's and Ricciotti's (my grandmothers maiden name). I sent off inquiry letters in Italian (since I don't speak a word of Italian my friend Shunji translated my letter that I wrote in english) to all 12 . I promptly received emails from 2. Following is the letter I sent followed by the emails I received.



Auguri:

Mi chiamo Jean Mazzetta Fantini, ed abito ad Anacortes (cittadina), Washington (stato), USA. Mi padre fu Tommaso Mazzetta, nato a Nerito il 2 maggio 1921. Mi padre veni in America a l'eta di 10 (piu o meno) coi suoi genitori, Pietro Mazzetta e Marcellia Mazzetta (n. Ricciotti).



Vorrei imparare qualcosa della mia famiglia in Italia. Visitero a Nerito in settembre con una amica mia. Noi restamo a Villa Susanna degli Ulivi, Colonnella, Contrada Giardino 11/A, dal 19 settembre fino al 21 settembre.



Mi piacerebbe ricevere qualsiasi informazioni della mia famiglia. Conosceste voi, per caso, qualche parente di mio padre? Abitano ancora a Nerito o la vicino? Mi piaciarebbe molto conoscergli.



Grazie mille,

Jean Mazzetta Fantini



(Mi dispiace, ma non parlo italiano. Questa lettera e scritta da un amico che studio la lingua molti anni fa. Ci sara dunque molti sbagliati. Scusi tanto.)

Here is my letter in English



Greetings,



My name is Jean Mazzetta Fantini, and I live in Anacortes, Washington, U.S.A. My father Tommoso Mazzetta was born in Nerito on May 2, 1921. My father came to America when he ws 10 years old , more or less, with his parents, Pietro Mazzetta and Marcellia Mazzetta (born Ricciotti). I would like to learn something of my family in Italy. I will visit Nerito in September with a friend. We will be staying at Villa Susanna degli Ulivi, Colonnella, Contrade Giardino 11/A, from September 10 to September 21.



I would like to receive information about my family. Do you know, by chance, some relatives of my father? Do they still live in Nerito or nearby? I would like very much to meet them.



Thanks a thousand,

Jean Mazzetta Fantini



(I am sorry, but I do not speak Italian. This letter was written by a friend who studied the language many years ago. There will therefore be many errors. sorry.)


Stay tune for my adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment