Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Our welcome to Rome

Heading to Rome and airport arrival


Thursday, September 10, 2009

OK so the world isn’t that big. After flying for 10 hours (on one plane) and having a layover in Paris for three hours your mind is a little groggy. After going through security check in Paris to board our plane to Rome I look over and see this woman leaning against a marble column . I’m thinking she looks very familiar and that she has been in my shop, but I’m in Paris and that can’t be. I get a little closer and she looks at me as I look at her with the same strange look .As I’m walking closer we smile and start laughing and say “no way can’t believe this.” It’s Cheryl Helem from Helem’s Wine Shop in LaConner. She is with her husband and son Jeff and daughter in law. They are also going to Italy for some wine tours. Only in Paris.

Ok Here we go. Boarding the plane and in two hours I will be meeting Alfredo and Maura. I am really tired at this point and I think I can sleep these next couple of hours. Getting settled and again I think of my Dad and how he would have loved this trip. I think he would have been just as excited as I am. I’m starting to get that nervous feeling like when you have to get up and make a speech in front of a lot of people. Need to get settled down so I can take a nap.

Just woke up and we are about to land. As the plane is landing I look over at Susie and she says, “welcome home”. Now waiting, waiting and more waiting for the luggage. There is a set of double doors to the left, this is the passengers exit from the security area. Beyond the double doors is where we are to meet Alfredo. He said he will be waiting with a sign. I glanced over there once and said to Susie, look at all those people out there waiting and I did notice that some of them had signs.

Got our luggage and here we go. Very, very nervous. Here we go out those doors. Oh my gosh there’s like 25 people holding up signs. Looking, looking, looking, there it is the Mazzetta Fantini sign. Greeted by a man: small in stature, with a huge smile and a very pretty woman with a kind face. “Alfredo”, I say and he says, “Jen ?” Susie and I are both greeted with the Italian warm welcome of a kiss on both cheeks. We all step back and take a close look at each other. Maura asks the correct pronunciation of my name and I tell her Jeeen. We all start talking at once. What a great moment.! I have this overwhelming feeling that my Dad is very near.

All I can say is OH MY GOSH! The cars and the scooters all over the place and driving in all different directions. Most of the cars are on the small side like the smart car, thank God they didn’t have one or our luggage would have never fit. On to the hotel. Shunji was right. Alfredo speaks very little English and remember I speak no Italian. But one thing is for sure he loves to talk and there was never a dull moment in the conversation. He and Maura are so cute together. He drove, although he hates to drive in Rome and Maura doesn’t like him to drive. We immediately started talking about the family, Maura translated. They asked how I had gotten his fathers address and I explained how I had found it on the internet. Alfredo said my letter got to the right person, his father. After checking into the hotel, we decided to go for dinner, and of course everyone knows in Italy you don’t eat until 8 or after. We had a great time at dinner . Laughing, talking, eating, drinking, talking, eating, laughing. Maura kept telling Alfredo to speak English. What a fun loving and happy person. It becomes very obvious that Alfredo loves Italy especially Nerito. He kept asking me if I was happy, then he would say ,“If you are happy, I am happy (in English). Sweet, sweet man with a lot of good energy. We will be meeting with them tomorrow evening. Can’t wait!



Stay tune for Rome

No comments:

Post a Comment